You’re almost ready to lead your first classroom, right? You know how to talk to kids, you have some educational activities up your sleeves and you’re earning your early childhood education (ECE) degree—what else do you need? A little laughter couldn’t hurt!
It’s OK to admit that the thought of 40 little eyes staring at you as you lead them through important lessons sounds a little intimidating. But some fun, kid-friendly jokes can be a great icebreaker. Plus, the sound of giggling children could brighten up even the gloomiest day.
"Using humor with kids has so many benefits!"
Joni Kuhn is an assistant instructor in the Rasmussen College School of Education and she believes humor should be a requirement in the classroom. Besides the obvious advantages, she explains that it helps kids improve language and critical thinking skills. Often kids will experiment with joke telling to discover what others think is funny, she says.
“Using humor with kids has so many benefits,” Kuhn says. “It releases stress and energy, builds connections between children and their peers, as well as between children and their teachers. It can also create a feeling of safety, as well as make kids and adults happy.”
We enlisted some expert educators to tell us their very favorite kid-friendly jokes. We dare you to read these without cracking a smile!
37 kid-friendly jokes to get your kids giggling
1. What do you call a famous fish?
2. Why don’t elephants need suitcases?
Because they already have trunks!
3. Knock, knock
Orange you going to answer the door?
4. What animal always breaks the law?
5. What did 0 say to 8?
6. Why do bananas put on sunscreen before they go to the beach?
So they don’t peel.
7. Where do fish save their money?
In the river bank.
8. Why did the fisherman put peanut butter into the sea?
To go with the jellyfish.
9. Knock, knock
10. What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
11. What’s the favorite fruit of twins?
12. What do you call a pig that knows karate?
A pork chop.
13. What do you call a fish with no eyes?
14. Why did the chicken cross the playground?
To get to the other slide.
15. What do you give a sick lemon?
16. What do you call a sleeping bull?
17. What side of a cat has the most fur?
18. What do you call a snowman with a sun tan?
19. What sound do porcupines make when they kiss?
20. What kinds of keys do kids like to carry?
21. What’s black and white and black and white and black and white?
A penguin rolling down a hill.
22. How do bees get to school?
On the school buzz.
23. What do you call a flying police officer?
24. Why can’t leopards play hide-and-seek?
They’re always spotted!
25. What do you get from nervous cows?
26. Why was the broom late?
27. What has two legs but can’t walk?
A pair of pants!
28. What’s a pretzel’s favorite dance?
29. How do you make a tissue dance?
Put a little boogie in it.
30. What’s a tree’s favorite drink?
31. What did the egg say to the frying pan?
You crack me up.
32. What do you call cheese that isn’t yours?
33. What is a kitten’s favorite color?
34. Why did the cat run away from the tree?
He was afraid of the bark!
35. What do elves learn in school?
36. What’s a ghost’s favorite fruit?
37. What’s brown and sticky?
Get ready to have some fun…
So now you know that a little humor can go a long way in the classroom. Bookmark this page so you always have a stockpile of funny, kid-friendly jokes to share with your little ones.
But it takes more than humor to become a successful ECE educator. Check out this guide to becoming a preschool teacher to learn all about the education requirements, responsibilities and skills you’ll need to succeed.
A special thanks to the educators who contributed their kid-friendly jokes:
- Faculty at the Julia Morgan School for Girls in Oakland, Ca.
- Joni Kuhn, ECE instructor at Rasmussen College