The holidays are upon us—and that means many of us will partake in door busters and late night shopping hours. Whether we’re ready or not, we should start thinking about gift giving. We have compiled a list of some holiday gift ideas for that nursing student in your family or circle of friends that they are sure to enjoy.
1. Tablets: These have been a big hit for students. They are great because they don’t weigh down backpacks or heat your legs while holed up in bed studying. Tablets seem to be the way to take notes and take brain breaks. Also nursing students should check with their nursing school for suggestions of the best tablet that works to fit their online courses and resources.
2. Starbucks or Caribou Coffee gift cards: Studying and long hours are a huge part of every successful nursing student’s life. A lot of times that can mean caffeine is also necessity. Drinking coffee and studying many times go hand-in-hand.
3. A watch: The nice, ceramic designer watch they own may not be the best watch to wear while working. Student nurses will spend time, lifting, moving, pushing and pulling patients. A durable inexpensive watch is going to come in handy. Some things to keep in mind while watch shopping: Try purchasing something lightweight with a second hand that shows the seconds on it. Also, it would be useful if it displayed military time.
4. Gas cards: Nursing students travel from school to work, work to clinicals, clinicals to home, home to school—you get the idea. Nursing students spend a lot of time getting from point A to point B, and any assistance in this area usually helps.
5. Gift certificates for healthcare supplies: A stethoscope, pen light, bandage scissors, clipboard, white shoes and a blood pressure cuff are all personal items to a student nurse. They can reflect a nurse’s personality as well as be an extension of their being. These items can add up quickly in cost but are important tools.
Here are some websites to help you get started looking for these items:
6. A great messenger bag or back pack: Student nurses are known to have baggage—they have stuff and lots of it. Nursing supplies range from calculators, pens, notepads, books, stethoscopes, blood pressure cuffs and cellphones. Because of this, every student needs a great bag or tote with lots of pockets. Check with your nursing student to see what best fits their needs and personality.
If you’re also in need of some stocking stuffer ideas, we’ve got you covered.
- Hand sanitizer: Keeping clean is a part of their job and having the extra help doesn’t hurt. Check out the plastic or silicone Purell small containers that clip on uniforms or bags.
- Scrubs Magazine: This is a great industry publication for your nurse-to-be. You can order the latest issue online at http://scrubsmag.com/getscrubs/ for $4.95 a copy. The website itself, http://scrubsmag.com/, is chock-full of many other helpful resources for nursing students, graduates and active nurses in the field.
- Lip balm: Hospitals and schools can be dry during the winter months. Make sure to purchase a moistening lip balm that fits easily into scrub pockets.
- A (winning lottery) ticket: Scratch offs are fun and easy to give as gifts. It can provide the nursing student in your life the ability to think about a dream vacation after nursing school
- Gift cards for meals: Sometimes nursing students don’t have the time, effort or energy to think about food. Even though they need food to function it can often be a last thought. Grabbing gift cards from Panera Bread, Chipotle or any local favorite sandwich shop can be a lifesaver.
Don’t waste another minute thinking about what to get the student nurse in your life, hop in the car or online to get started early so you can relax later. Share your gift ideas with us in the comment section below.