How to Get Your Unofficial Transcripts

Did you know that the jobs with the fastest growth projections through 2020 will require some type of postsecondary education? If you have any idle college credits, an associate’s degree, and are looking at completing a bachelor’s degree, then listen up.  Transferring your previously completed credits is a critical element to getting back into school and starting off on the right foot.

The first document that you will want collect is your unofficial transcripts from any previous colleges or universities where you have earned credits.  The transfer process can save you both time and money as you work towards finishing your degree. Follow this course of action on how to get your unofficial transcripts to help you get back into school as quickly as possible.

Get Your Unoffical Transcripts

1. Contact Your Previous School(s)

Requests for unofficial transcripts can typically be made in person, by phone, fax, online, or by mail.  Usually student services or the registrar’s office handles these requests.  Remember at some schools this may only be one person so be patient.

2. Get Your Transcripts

A copy of your unofficial transcript, academic record, or grade report is what you want.  The document needs to show grades, credit amounts, dates completed, course titles, and the name of the school where the credits were earned. You will need to get this from each school that you directly earned credits from.

3. Unofficial Review

Send your transcripts to your admissions representative at your new school in order to get them reviewed by the campus registrar. Also be sure to review the schools credit transfer policy for grade, block transfer, and course by course evaluation requirements.

After your receive the credit transfer results from admissions if you have specific questions about your unofficial review or options for testing out of courses your admissions representative connect you with your campus registrar or transfer specialist. They can explain what credits should transfer, how they apply to completing your degree, and give you an anticipated graduation date.

Getting your unofficial transcripts reviewed is a no cost way of finding out how close you are to earning your degree.  Take advantage of this process to accelerate your program and not have to retake any previously completed courses.  You will then need to formally request your official transcripts in order to have the credits transfer over to your new school.  If you have any questions just ask the admissions department they want to support you in getting back into school, earning your degree, and changing your life.

This piece of ad content was created by Rasmussen College to support its educational programs. Rasmussen College may not prepare students for all positions featured within this content. Please visit for a list of programs offered. External links provided on are for reference only. Rasmussen College does not guarantee, approve, control, or specifically endorse the information or products available on websites linked to, and is not endorsed by website owners, authors and/or organizations referenced. Rasmussen College is a regionally accredited private college and Public Benefit Corporation.

Grant works for Collegis education and writes student-focused articles on behalf of Rasmussen College. He aims to inspire, motivate and inform current and prospective students.

Receive Personalized Information Today
  • Personalized financial aid
  • Customized support services
  • Detailed program plan
  • Attend a no-obiligation Nursing Information Session
  • Meet the Dean of Nursing
  • Enrollment application
  • Personalized financial aid
  • Career path guidance
How may we contact you?

Please complete all fields

What would you like to study?

The program you have selected is not available in your area. Please select another program of interest.

By requesting information, I authorize Rasmussen College to contact me by email, phone or text message at the number provided. There is no obligation to enroll.