Moms are real life super heroes, quietly making the world a better place one heroic deed at a time. Their deeds aren’t always as flashy as leaping tall buildings, but they are consistent and life-changing. Day after day, she drove you to school, sports games, practices, lessons and friends’ houses. She made sure you never went hungry, always had a warm bed and clean clothes. She stayed up with you at night when you weren’t feeling well and consoled you when you were sad. She listened and helped solve your problems. She celebrated all your victories, picked you up after defeats and forgave your mistakes. She gave you the confidence and support to reach all your dreams, and she always makes you feel like the most important person in the world. So how do you thank someone like that? Acknowledgement is the best way, and Mother’s Day is an ideal time to do that.
Acknowledgement from the Heart
There are a million ways to acknowledge your mom for all she has done, but the best way is from the heart. No one knows your mom better than you. What are her passions and her interests? What are the things she enjoys and the things she rarely takes time to do for herself? The answers will help point you to the perfect gift for your mom. You don’t need to spend a lot of money to touch her heart. The gifts with the most thought behind them often mean the most. Here are a few ideas to get you started.
Gift of Pampering and Relaxation
If you have a mom who spends most of her time tending to the needs of others, a good pampering may be just what she needs. Four great pampering ideas are:
1. A day at the spa. Let others cater to her for an afternoon, whether it’s a massage, manicure, pedicure, facial or other spa service.
2. Gift certificate to her favorite hair salon. Consider covering the cost of her regular services. If you’re looking to spend more, add a service or product she may not splurge on herself.
3. Home pampering. If she doesn’t have time to go to the spa, bring it to her. Having a new face cream, body lotion or beauty product can make a woman feel like a million bucks. If you are looking for some of the latest products or ideas, visit sephora.com or ulta.com.
4. Gift baskets with a message. Consider how your mom likes to relax and prepare a personalized gift basket. Maybe it includes comfy pajamas, a soft blanket, her favorite tea and a new book, or gardening tools, her favorite flowers and a garden ornament with a special message.
Gift of Sentiment and Memories
Moms are sentimental by nature and a gift that touches on that sentiment is always meaningful. Just think about those little handprints you brought home from school that brought tears to her eyes. Here are a few ideas to tug on her heart strings as a grown up:
1. Meaningful jewelry. There is a wide variety of jewelry designed specifically with mothers in mind. Charm bracelets like Pandora help capture some of life’s favorite moments. Necklaces or rings with their children or grandchildren’s birthstones on it always keep loved ones near. Websites like redenvelope.com, bradfordexchange.com and thingsremembered.com have some unique designs as well as a host of other personalized items for mom.
2. Family photo. Moms love to show off their family to others. Arrange for a family photo shoot or give her a gift certificate for a professional sitting.
3. Capture your favorite family moments. Dig up some of your favorite family photos. Be sure to find ones that capture you favorite memories with your mom. Arrange them in a framed collage or scrapbook with special captions for each. You can create your own memory book online through websites like Shutterfly.com and Snapfish.com. Both websites also have many other great picture-related gifts like calendars, canvas bags and even blankets to warm mom’s heart.
Encourage her hobbies and dreams
What does your mom like to do with her spare time? What activities make her the happiest? And what has she always wanted to try? Whether it’s gardening, decorating, knitting, reading or skydiving, think about the tools she needs to carry out those activities. Visit local gardening or hobby stores for the latest items in those crafts. Here are a few websites to check out for ideas and unique items:
1. Lillianvernon.com - This site offers a host of personalized items, as well as home, garden and outdoor décor.
2. Uncommongoods.com - You’ll find some unique home, garden, dining, office, leisure and jewelry gift ideas on this website.
3. Brookstone.com - This website and store features everything from electronic gadgets to cooking items.
4. Wantful.com - After asking you a series of questions about your mom or intended gift recipient, this website will make suggestions centered around your response.
5. Cloud9living.com - This website is all about the gift of experiences. It focuses on lessons and activities and is broken down by city.
Gift of Time
Perhaps one of the best gifts, and often least expensive, you can give your mom is the gift of time. Whether it is covering her daily obligations so she can enjoy some well-deserved time to herself, or spending quality time enjoying some of her favorite activities with her, it will mean a lot.
Regardless, of what route you decide to go be sure to always include a special card or hand-written message explaining the intent of your gift to show you put thought.