Benefits of Joining an Alumni Association
Congratulation graduates, you can now call yourself alum. It’s a title you get to carry the rest of your life, so why not take advantage of it by joining your school’s alumni association? It’s a great way to keep in touch with classmates, an excellent way to network with other alumni, and who knows; those connections could land you a job.
“Our alumni association gives graduates the opportunity to network with students, faculty and potential employers,” said Anne Sumangil, Rasmussen College Director of Alumni Relations. “We also offer services like Job Connect and Optimal Resume to help alumni find employment long after they graduate.” Job Connect is an online job board exclusively for Rasmussen College students and graduates. So far, nearly 3,000 Rasmussen College alums have used the site to find a job. Optimal Resume is for those alums that need to brush up on their job seeking skills. The service helps alumni create a resume, cover letter, portfolio, even practice interviewing.
“You can select what style interview you want, record yourself answering a series of questions, and then send your mock interview to a Career Services Advisor or family member for feedback,” said Sumangil. Optimal Resume is a popular tool and is also open to Rasmussen College students. Sumangil says nearly half of the individuals using it though are alumni.
Just because you moved to another state after graduation, doesn’t mean you can’t get involved. Alumni associations often form local or regional chapters around the country. These local chapters are a great way to connect with alumni face-to-face, and maybe watch that big game with fellow fans. Here are some other benefits to joining your school’s alumni association:
- Discounts at campus bookstores and retailers around the nation. An alumni association discount can come in handy when you want to buy a new school t-shirt or sweatshirt. Rasmussen College alumni have access to Savings Connection, which provides discounts on everything from travel, movies, clothing, and restaurants.
- Access to big ticket sporting events. Members of alumni associations can sometimes purchase sporting event tickets ahead of the general public, and at a discount.
- Access to your school’s library system. This is a great resource if you ever need to do research for work projects.
- Gym/Recreation Memberships. Some schools let alumni association members use their recreational facilities. Schools may also have their own alumni sports program.
- Free alumni magazines, newsletters, and webinars. These will help you keep up-to-date on campus activities, events, faculty, and other alumni. Rasmussen College sends out an electronic newsletter to alumni called @ Rasmussen every quarter.
- Giving to your school’s future. Some alumni associations raise money to provide scholarships to incoming or current students. Associations also raise funds to pay for campus improvements.
- Tax Deductibility. Many alumni association memberships are deductible for federal income tax purposes. Check with your tax advisor.
There are many other benefits to joining your school’s alumni association after graduation, but they vary from school to school. If you haven’t received information about your school’s alumni association yet, log onto your school’s website or contact your school’s alumni relations office. They’d love to have you. You may find it’s the best way to stay in touch with old friends.