The Definition of Social Media
Social media includes the various online technology tools that enable people to communicate easily via the internet to share information and resources. Social media can include text, audio, video, images, podcasts, and other multimedia communications.
- Post a social media resume. A professional blog instead of a resume.
- Record a video resume. A video of you instead of a resume. Tell them about yourself.
- Practice your interviewing skills. Use a webcam and record a practice interview.
- Visit YouTube. Watch videos of good and bad interviews. Get visual advice of how to prepare for an interview.
- Document your job search on Twitter. Keep your friends and family up to date on your job search. Build a network on Twitter including hiring managers. Create an elevator speech especially for introducing yourself on Twitter.
- Attend a virtual job fair. Ask questions to field experts, post your resume, search jobs and watch videos from employers
- Record your job search activities at Jibber Jobber: Manage your job search via their free website. Track where you are sending resumes and what kind of responses you are getting.
- Prepare your wardrobe. Get advice on what to wear to an interview from the web.
- Sign up for Tweet My Jobs on Twitter. Get updates on job opportunities specific to what you’re interested in or based on location.
- Connect with your friends and family with professional MySpace or Facebook pages. Use them to network with friends or family and keep them up to date on your job search. Remember to keep this professional and appropriate to your job search.
- Research a company by seeking them out on Facebook Fan Page, LinkedIn, YouTube, and the company’s website.
- Be inventive with your resume. Create a resume webpage.
- Job search using MySpace.
- Post an ad using Google Ad Words or Facebook Social Ads.
- Sign up for RSS feeds.
- Join job support chat groups. Chat with others that are also in the job search. Share advice.
- Chat directly with a recruiter.
- Sign up on the Ning. Chat with your peers.
- Read “expert” job search blogs.
- Utilize Indeed and hired.com/">Simply Hired to search for job openings. They pull jobs from multiple websites and make it easy to job search.
- Find a meet up group that combines the ease of the internet with the richness of meeting in person.