Prepare to advance your career as an allied health professional in as few as 18 months with our CAHIIM-accredited Health Information Management (HIM) Online Bachelor’s degree program.1This Bachelor's degree-completion program utilizes career-focused curriculum and practical, hands-on opportunities in your courses to give you the knowledge, skills and confidence to excel. Pursue your passion through a variety of leadership roles, such as a medical records manager, risk management officer or clinical data analyst. Earning a Health Information Management degree online with Flex Choice® allows you to combine traditional online coursework and self-directed assessments—a more affordable way to receive credit for what you already know.
Take me to:
What Will I Be Prepared to Do When I’m Done?
Strive for Industry Certification
Preparation for the Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) exam is built into your regular coursework so that you’ll be ready to sit for the certification exam the day you graduate—and the application fee is included in your tuition costs.2
Advance in the Industry
Graduates from our Health Information Management program feel confident advancing their careers in the healthcare industry and health information roles in a variety of work settings.
Pursue Potential Job Growth
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the projected job growth potential between 2016 and 2026 medical and health services managers is 20%.3 An HIM degree from Rasmussen College can help set you up for success in this growing field.
What Skills Will I Gain?
Gain experience maintaining electronic health records and developing information policy during two professional practice experiences.
Professional Communication and Leadership
Develop your management skills in order to promote effective collaboration and lead a team of health information professionals.
Management of Health Information Systems
Learn skills that allow you to design and manage health information systems in order to develop and implement data policies.
Diverse Knowledge of Healthcare Settings
Gain an understanding of financial management and analysis within multiple healthcare settings.
What Types of Classes Will I Take?
- HIM 3710
- 4 Credits
- HIM 3910
- 4 Credits
- HIM 4115
- 4 Credits
Advanced Quality Management in Healthcare
Examines facility-wide quality management and continues quality improvement models, processes, methods and tools for healthcare organizations.
Healthcare Statistics & Reporting
Discusses and applies the common terms, formulae and computations used in healthcare statistics through effective data collection, interpretation of information and the display of data.
Applied Research in Health Information Management
Students will complete a research project specific to HIM and will present their research to classmates and instructors using a webinar environment.
24 Courses to Complete
90 Credit Hours
What Should I Know Before I Enroll?
Enrolling students to this program must have earned an Associate’s degree in health information technology/management from a CAHIIM-accredited program within the past five years, or have an Associate’s degree and possess a current RHIT credential. If the degree was earned over five years ago, the enrolling student needs to have work experience in the health information industry within the last five years and approval from the program coordinator. In addition to meeting other admissions requirements, entrants to this program must also pass a criminal background check.
Where Can I Find a Health Information Management Program Near Me?
At Rasmussen College, we want our courses to be available on your schedule, not the other way around. Select programs are available for enrollment through a specific campus and nationally online, but students complete the courses online and are able to utilize online and on-campus support and resources. See below to find out where you can find a HIM program near you.
Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM)
The Health Information Management Bachelor’s degree program at Rasmussen College – Online is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM).
Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education
200 East Randolph Street
Chicago, IL 60601
Graduate Programmatic Outcome Rates
|Health Information Management Bachelor’s Degree Program||Graduate Programmatic Outcome Rate4||Programmatic Retention Rate5||Programmatic Graduation Rate6|
|Rasmussen College – Online Baccalaureate||69.5%||68.8%||32.2%|
- Completion time is dependent on transfer credits accepted and the number of courses completed each term.
- The application fee for each qualified student’s first exam attempt is included in the total program costs. Should you need to take the exam more than once to receive a passing score, you will be responsible for all subsequent exam application fees.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, [career information accessed May 30, 2018] www.bls.gov/ooh/. Employment conditions in your area may vary.
- Graduate Programmatic Outcome Rates are based on June 2016 through March 2017 graduates measured at 12 months post graduation and includes those employed in their field of study, in a position that required their degree, or those continuing their education. It does not specify that each graduate was placed by Rasmussen College in their current position; some graduates find jobs on their own while others maintain previously held employment. This rate excludes graduates who were unavailable due to military service, a medical condition, an international location, or are incarcerated or deceased.
- Programmatic Retention Rates are based on the number of enrollments reported in the most recent CAHIIM APAR report for period July 2015 through June 2016 minus the number of students leaving the program in that same time period.
- Programmatic Graduation Rates – Percentage of starts between May 2014 and April 2015 that graduated from the program in 1.5 times the recommended length of the program. The programs listed above are those accredited by CAHIIM. The online Health Information Management Bachelor’s degree program at Rasmussen College is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM).