Become a Health Information Leader in Your Community
Are you ready to take the next step in your health information career? Our CAHIIM-accredited3 HIM program can support your desire to move ahead in the field with advanced skills in leadership and management, health information security and privacy, health law and compliance, and current and emerging consumer engagement practices.
As a Bachelor’s degree student, you can save time and money by taking assessments and transferring in credits. In fact, 67% of the program requirements can be completed in credit for prior learning.4 Already have your Health Information Technician Associate’s degree? Or, have your RHIT credential and an Associate's degree in another field? That means you’re nearly halfway to completing your HIM Bachelor’s degree.
Take me to:
What Does the HIM Bachelor’s Degree Prepare You For?
In our HIM Bachelor’s degree program, you’ll prepare for industry certification and confidently further your career in an in-demand leadership role improving health information processes and patient care. At 32% projected job growth, medical and health services manager jobs are much faster than average—versus an average of 5% for other jobs, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.6
You’ll be ready for a variety of careers, such as:
- Health Information Services Manager
- Privacy Officer
- Health Information Applications
- EHR Implementation Specialist
- Clinical/Healthcare Informatics Analyst/Specialist
- Compliance Officer/Auditor
- Revenue Cycle Reimbursement Manager
- Health Information Management Specialist
- Clinical Documentation Specialist
You can pursue a role in a variety of healthcare settings, such as:
- Healthcare systems
- Insurance companies
- Health information technology vendors
Why Choose Rasmussen University?
Designed by industry experts, our Health Information Management degree program gives you the skills and confidence to not only utilize your broad health information knowledge, but also to effectively lead and manage cross-collaborative systems.
- Accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM)
- Balance work, life and college with flexible fully online courses
- Speed through material you already know and slow down to master new or advanced skills in our 100% Flex Choice® competency-based education (CBE)
- Get credit for what you already know with Flex Choice® Credit by Assessment and transfer credits
- Gain hands-on experience in AHIMA® virtual labs to test your skills and enhance decision-making abilities13
- Utilize cutting-edge health information software applications and industry technology ranging from staffing models and project management tools to Tableau data visualization
Practice in Real-Time
Not only are you studying the material—you’re also getting practice in a professional health information setting in your community during the HIM program. And, even more hands-on practice through AHIMA® virtual labs.
"While many students work in the field, professional practice experience can be eye-opening in that exposure encourages more creative thinking for problem resolution and professional contacts."
Denise V., MBA, RHIA
Program Coordinator of Health Information Bachelor’s Degree Program at Rasmussen University
Learn on Your Terms
Keep working while you get your degree with fully online courses, a professional practice experience in a real work setting, eight start dates a year and an online support team available 24/7.
Support at Every Turn
From 24/7 tech support, experienced tutors and career services to library and learning services with over 400,000 ebooks and electronic reference materials, we’re dedicated to a robust learning community.
In addition to health information studies, you’ll enhance your skills in critical thinking, digital fluency, information literacy, communication, diversity and teamwork, and ethics and professional responsibility.
Certificate: Medical Billing and Coding
Start here if:
You’re just entering the field and looking for quick entry into a healthcare role. This is a great stepping stone toward your Associate’s degree and a future career in medical billing and coding.16
Finish in as few as:
Associate’s Degree: Health Information Technician
Start here if:
You’re ready to learn more about managing patient data, revenue cycle, and billing and coding. You're also interested in pursuing the RHIT® exam.15
Finish in as few as:
Bachelor’s Degree: Health Information Management
Start here if:
You have your Associate's degree in health information or in an another subject with your RHIT credential. You're interested in a higher leadership role and want to prepare for the RHIA® exam.
Finish in as few as:
Master’s Degree: Choose Your Path
Master’s degree programs to consider:
Sample MBA job titles:
- Business analytics and intelligence
- Business and project management
- Client relations
- Financial management
- Government services
- Healthcare administration
- Human resources
Sample MHA job titles:
- Admissions coordinator or director
- Clinical director
- Health services manager
- Hospital administrator
- Long-term care administrator
- Medical services manager
- Practice manager
Get Credit for What You Know
Credit by Assessment
Get credit for what you already know. Your potential savings could be over $8,000!7
Get an estimate of your transfer credits without an official transcript in one business day (on average).
Education Built for Working Adults
On the go or at home, you can complete courses at your pace, wherever you work best. You'll also get professional practice experience at a healthcare site.
Competency-Based Education (CBE)
Already have experience? Show what you know, move through your courses faster and master new skills.
Do the Math:
With eight start dates a year and a total of 24 courses—full-time students can finish in as few as 18 months. You can save even more with transfer credits, loans, grants and more.
$260 cost per full-time credit
x 90 total credits
$23,400 total full-time tuition
+ $4,920 total fees
$28,320 full-time estimated total program cost
Other Ways to Save
Higher education should be a manageable investment. Talk to an admissions advisor and learn how our programs are designed to be more affordable with Flex Choice® competency-based education, Credit by Assessment, transfer credits, loans and grants, scholarship opportunities, and corporate and military discounts for those who qualify. Find more about:
To be considered for admission to the Bachelor Completer Entrance Option, students must have earned an Associate’s degree in health information technology/management from a CAHIIM-accredited program within the past five years, or have an Associate’s degree and possess a current RHIT credential. If the degree was earned over five years ago, the enrolling student needs to have work experience in the health information industry within the last five years and approval from the program coordinator. In addition to meeting other admissions requirements, entrants to this program must also pass a criminal background check. To learn more and receive help planning your healthcare career path, contact an admissions advisor who will speak to you about: entrance requirements, alternate program paths, and background checks.
Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM)
The Health Information Management accreditor of Rasmussen University is the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM). The University’s accreditation for the Baccalaureate degree in Health Information Management has been reaffirmed through 2025. All inquiries about the program’s accreditation status should be directed by mail to CAHIIM, 200 East Randolph Street, Suite 5100, Chicago, IL, 60601; by phone at (312) 235-3255; or by email at email@example.com.
Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education
200 East Randolph Street
Chicago, IL 60601
Graduate Programmatic Outcome Rates
|Health Information Management Bachelor’s Degree Program||Graduate Programmatic Outcome Rate||Student Satisfaction Rate||Programmatic Graduation Rate|
|Rasmussen University – Online Baccalaureate||86.1%||94%||32.2%|
- Estimated total program cost for a full-time student. Rasmussen University defines transfer credit as previously earned college credit at an accredited two- or four-year college/university after graduating from high school. Bachelor completer programs assume at least 90 transfer credits or a conferred degree.
- Completion time is dependent on transfer credits accepted and the number of courses completed each term.
- The Health Information Management accreditor of Rasmussen University is the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM). The University’s accreditation for the Baccalaureate degree in Health Information Management has been reaffirmed through 2025. All inquiries about the program’s accreditation status should be directed by mail to CAHIIM, 200 East Randolph Street, Suite 5100, Chicago, IL, 60601; by phone at (312) 235-3255; or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Rasmussen University reserves the right to accept or deny credits according to policies outlined in the course catalog. Actual time to completion will be based upon transfer evaluation and eligibility.
- The application fee for each qualified student’s first exam attempt is included in the total program costs. Should you need to take the exam more than once to receive a passing score, you will be responsible for all subsequent exam application fees.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, [career information accessed May 30, 2018] www.bls.gov/ooh/. Employment conditions in your area may vary.
- Savings calculated from students enrolled at Rasmussen University who utilized Flex Choice® Credit by Assessment, which were offered for no additional charge when taken concurrently with traditional courses from May 2014 to January 2018. When completed, assessments reduced the number of traditional courses students were required to complete as part of their program. From the launch of Flex Choice Credit by Assessment in May 2014 through January 2018, 8,297 courses have been completed. Calculation: 8,297 courses x 3.2 credits per course = 26,550 credits. Cost per credit $250 x 26,550 credits = $6,637,500 in savings in the last four years. Since January 2017, we’ve been charging $99 per attempt 10,280 attempts since January 2017 x $99 = $1,017,720 in revenue. $6,637,500 savings - $1,017,720 revenue = $5,619,780 saved.
- Tableau is a registered trademark of Tableau Software, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and certain other countries.
- AHIMA, “Health Information 101”. https://www.ahima.org/certification-careers/certifications-overview/career-tools/career-pages/health-information-101/. Retrieved August 28, 2020.
- Graduate Programmatic Outcome Rates are based on July 1, 2018 through June 30, 2019, as reported in the 2020 CAHIIM Annual Program Assessment Report. Measured at 12 months post-graduation and includes those employed in their field of study, in a position that required their degree, or those continuing their education. It does not specify that each graduate was placed by Rasmussen University in their current position; some graduates find jobs on their own while others maintain previously held employment. This rate excludes graduates who were unavailable due to military service, a medical condition, an international location, or are incarcerated or deceased.
- Student/Graduate Satisfaction Rates are for the time period 7/1/2018–6/30/2019, based on programmatic and institution surveys returned from program graduates.
- Programmatic Graduation Rates – Percentage of starts between May 2014 and April 2015 that graduated from the program in 1.5 times the recommended length of the program. The programs listed above are those accredited by CAHIIM. The Health Information Management accreditor of Rasmussen University is the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM). The University’s accreditation for the Baccalaureate degree in Health Information Management has been reaffirmed through 2025. All inquiries about the program’s accreditation status should be directed by mail to CAHIIM, 200 East Randolph Street, Suite 5100, Chicago, IL, 60601; by phone at (312) 235-3255; or by email at email@example.com.
- AHIMA® Virtual Labs are a registered trademark of the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA). © 2020 AHIMA. All rights reserved.
- The Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA®) Exam is a registered trademark of the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA). Copyright © 2020 AHIMA. All rights reserved.
- The Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT®) Exam is a registered trademark of the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA). Copyright © 2020 AHIMA. All rights reserved.
- Most coding positions are not considered "entry level"; a combination of education and work experience is typically required to attain a coding position. Similarly, coders, especially those who are new to the field, should not expect to find a position where they can work from home. Most coding positions require onsite work.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Employment Statistics, [salary data accessed June 30th, 2020] https://www.bls.gov/oes/. Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, [career information accessed June 30th, 2020] www.bls.gov/ooh/.. BLS salary data represents national, averaged earnings for the occupations listed and includes workers at all levels of education and experience. This data does not represent starting salaries. Employment conditions in your area may vary.