Medical Lab Technician
Become an essential part of patient diagnosis with a Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) Associate’s degree. As an MLT student, you study comprehensive courses that include clinical chemistry and microbiology, hematology, transfusion medicine and phlebotomy. Hands-on curriculum and experienced training in our NAACLS-accredited MLT program prepare you to have a positive impact on patients’ lives while working primarily behind the scenes. In as few as 21 months, you can earn your degree, prepare for MLT certification and be on your way to a rewarding healthcare career.1
Regional and Programmatic Accreditation
Rasmussen College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (hlcommission.org), a regional accreditation agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Learn more about programmatic accreditation and the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS).
Prep for MLT (ASCP) Certification
With comprehensive curriculum and real-world experience in our NAACLS-accredited program, you will be prepared for and can apply to take the MLT (ASCP) certification exam. Plus, the exam fee is included in your total program costs.2
Flex Choice®: Get Credit for What You Know
This Associate's degree is available with Flex Choice self-directed assessment offerings, which allows you to blend traditional online courses with self-directed assessments that provide optional coaching assistance. Assessments provide more flexibility, and—at $99 per attempt—this is a more affordable way to receive credit for what you already know. For additional information, visit our Flex Choice page.
Blend of On-Campus & Online Courses
The curriculum is offered through a blend of on-campus and online courses, through which you’ll gain a solid understanding of the healthcare industry.
Medical Lab Technician
Finish in as few as
- On-Campus and Online Classes
- Field Experience
- Flex Choice® (Optional)
Students looking to have a positive impact on patients' lives, work behind the scenes of the medical field and start a successful career as a medical laboratory technician with well-rounded knowledge about the field.
Prepares you for
Medical and clinical laboratory technician
Not Sure This Degree Is Right for You?
6 Signs a Medical Lab Tech Career Is Right for You
Find out what characteristics make for a natural medical laboratory technician and if this exciting career was meant for you all along. This will allow you to join the fast-growing healthcare field while still getting to work a technical, behind-the-scenes job.
Turn Your Medical Lab Technician Education into a Career
We’ve made advancing your medical and clinical laboratory career even easier by offering classes and medical laboratory technician certification that fit into a busy working schedule. Throughout the Medical Laboratory Technician program, you gain the knowledge and skills you need to perform critical tests that provide physicians with the information to diagnosis life-threatening diseases and illnesses. To complement your academics, you also complete a practicum at clinical site affiliates. Upon graduation, you will be prepared for and can apply to take the MLT (ASCP) certification exam at no additional cost.2
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), earning a degree, regardless of the field of study, can improve income potential.4 Here is an example of where a Medical Lab Technician degree can take you.
Clinical Laboratory Technologists and Technicians – Minnesota
National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS)
The Medical Laboratory Technician Associate's degree program at the Lake Elmo/Woodbury, Moorhead and St. Cloud campuses in Minnesota is accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS).
National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences
5600 N River Road
Rosemount, IL 60018
The level of expertise the instructors provide at Rasmussen is amazing. We all have varied backgrounds and bring awesome real-world experience with a passion for education to the table.
Medical Lab Technician Program Coordinator & Assistant Professor
- Completion time is dependent on transfer credits accepted and the number of courses completed each term.
- The application fee for each qualified student’s first exam attempt is included in the total program costs. Should you need to take the exam more than once to receive a passing score, you will be responsible for all subsequent exam application fees.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Employment Statistics reported through CareerOneStop, [salary data accessed November 27, 2019] https://www.careeronestop.org/toolkit/. BLS salary data represents averaged earnings in Minnesota for the occupations listed and includes workers at all levels of education and experience. This data does not represent starting salaries. Employment conditions in your area may vary.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Employment Statistics, [salary data accessed May 21, 2019] https://www.bls.gov/oes/. Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, [career information accessed May 30, 2018] www.bls.gov/ooh/. BLS salary data represents national, averaged earnings for the occupations listed and includes workers at all levels of education and experience. This data does not represent starting salaries. Employment conditions in your area may vary.
- Labor Market Employment Outlook as reported by Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development [career information accessed December 11, 2019] https://apps.deed.state.mn.us/lmi/projections/Results.aspx?dataset=1&geog=2701000000&code=292012.