- Take Advantage of Our Credential Ladder
Blend of On-Campus & Online Courses
Gain a solid understanding of the healthcare industry with career-focused curriculum in the format best suited to your specialty. Based on which specialization you choose for your Healthcare degree, either all of your courses will be performed online, or you will have a blend of on-campus and online courses.
Acquire Key Skills
You’ll become proficient in the core areas of career success: critical thinking, written and interpersonal communication, patient services and diversity awareness.
Rasmussen University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (hlcommission.org), an institutional accreditation agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Here’s your chance to broaden your healthcare experience and develop career-focused skills you’ll need as an allied health professional. Our blended Associate's Degree in Health Science online and on campus is offered for Illinois students and allows you to choose among three specializations: Medical Administrative Assistant, Pharmacy Technician or Medical Assisting. You pick the specialization and we’ll take care of you from there. If you are just entering the healthcare field, you can also check out our Healthcare Certificate.
For non-Illinois residents, please visit our Healthcare Associate’s degree page.
Health Sciences Credentials Offered
Health Sciences Associates
Finish in as few as
- On Campus
- Campus Support and Resources
- Field Experience
Illinois students interested in the versatile world of healthcare and serve as a valuable member of a healthcare team. Also ideal for Illinois students looking to gain practical experience and pursue a successful, fulfilling career specializing in Medical Administrative Assistant, Pharmacy Technician or Medical Assisting.
Prepares you for
Healthcare associate, medical services technician, medical registration or receptionist, medical office manager, medical coder/biller, medical administrative assistant/secretary, medical receptionist, office administrator, medical assistant, pharmacy technician
Not Sure This Degree Is Right for You?
Take the Next Step—Talk to Us!
The Ultimate List of Healthcare Jobs You Can Launch in 2 Years or Less
You’ve likely been considering a career change for a while, and you want something more than what will just pay the bills. A career in health sciences may be the perfect path for you.Read more
Turn Your Health Sciences Education into a Career
We’ve made advancing in your health sciences career even easier by offering classes and credentials that fit into a busy working schedule. When you’re ready to build on the solid foundation of prior Certificate or Diploma coursework, and on your in-field experience, an Associate's degree in Health Sciences (online or on-campus) is a natural next step. Through challenging Health Sciences courses, you’ll be prepared to take on new responsibilities and advancement. As a Health Sciences Associate’s degree graduate, you can choose to enter the workforce, or you can continue your education by seamlessly transferring your credits into our Health and Wellness Bachelor’s degree-completion program.2
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), earning a degree, regardless of the field of study, can improve income potential.4 Here are just a few examples of where an Associate's degree in Health Sciences can take you.
Medical Secretaries and Administrative Assistants
- Completion time is dependent on transfer credits accepted and the number of courses completed each term.
- Graduates of the Health Sciences Associate’s degree program with a specialization in Pharmacy Technician meet the education requirements needed to apply for a Pharmacy Technician license or registration from the board or pharmacy or equivalent agency in the following states: AL, AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NY, NC, OK, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, VT, VA, WI, WY. Other eligibility requirements may apply, please check with the board of pharmacy or equivalent agency in your state of residence. This program may not meet the educational requirements needed to apply for a Pharmacy Technician license or registration in states not listed above, please check with the board of pharmacy or equivalent agency in your state of residence for further information.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Employment Statistics, [salary data accessed July 2022] www.bls.gov/oes/. Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, [career information accessed July 2022] www.bls.gov/ooh/. BLS salary data represents national, averaged earnings for the occupations listed and includes workers at all levels of education and experience. This data does not represent starting salaries. Employment conditions in your area may vary.
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Current Population Study. Unemployment rates and earnings by educational attainment, 2020. Accessed on March 31, 2022. Data is for persons age 25 and older who are full-time wage and salary earners. https://www.bls.gov/emp/chart-unemployment-earnings-education.htm
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, [career information accessed March 31, 2022] www.bls.gov/ooh/. Employment conditions in your area may vary.
- Completion time depends on maintaining full-time study and completing all scheduled courses with the cohort.
- CAPTE Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education is a registered trademark of American Physical Therapy Association.
- American Physical Therapy Association is a registered trademark of American Physical Therapy Association.
- TOEFL iBT is a registered trademark of Educational Testing Service.
- Students are responsible for costs associated with all travel expenses for the immersion lab experience and clinical education experiences.
- GRE® is a registered trademark of Educational Testing Service.
- Students are required to travel to Minneapolis, Minnesota, five times throughout the program for 6 to 11 days each time. Students are responsible for costs associated with all travel expenses for the immersion lab experience and clinical education experiences.
- NPTE is a registered trademark of Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy.