According to CompTIA, 91% of hiring managers believe IT certifications are valuable in validating expertise—and our Information Technology degree curriculum is designed to help prepare you for valuable certification exams, including CompTIA® A+ (parts 1 and 2), CompTIA Security+, CompTIA Network+ and Microsoft® Windows 10 MD-100. We even provide practice exam vouchers, where available, and reimburse you for exam application fees where available.
IT Associate’s Degree Fast Facts
A student satisfaction survey showed that 95% believe the skills they’re learning in the program are preparing them for a job in the field—and 86% say if they had to do it all over again, they would choose to enroll in this program.5
Configuring, maintaining and troubleshooting hardware and software is all done virtually now. Our online Information Technology degree program is designed with virtual labs that are set up in exact install/configure/troubleshoot environments with real tasks to complete—tasks that you’d be expected to accomplish in the field. Through these projects, you will also learn business and communication skills to prepare you to work in any workplace setting.
Flex Choice®: Get Credit for What You Know
This Associate's degree is available with Flex Choice self-directed assessment offerings, which allows you to blend traditional online courses with self-directed assessments that provide optional coaching assistance. Assessments provide more flexibility, and—at $99 per attempt—this is a more affordable way to receive credit for what you already know. For additional information, visit our Flex Choice page.
Online Associate's Degree
Everyone wants IT experts—according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the projected job growth for computer user support specialists through 2028 is 11%, which is higher than the national average.3 Start your path here with the fundamental skills you’ll need to accomplish your career goals of doing what you love and increasing your income potential by joining the growing industry of Information Technology. Our online Information Technology Associate’s degree lets you learn on your schedule, at your pace and earn your degree in as few as 18 months.1
When you want to advance your education, you can seamlessly transfer your online Associate’s degree into our Information Technology Management Bachelor’s degree online—which can also be completed in as few as 18 months.1
Take a Deeper Dive into IT
In this online degree program, you’ll develop foundational skills for installing, configuring and troubleshooting hardware, software, servers, networks and networked devices. Everything from operating systems and IP protocols to technical support and virus protection is covered through hands-on projects. You will learn to analyze and design complex information systems, create secure networks, produce IT project plans, and work with both small companies and enterprise-level organizations. In this video, School of Technology Dean Jennifer Ayotte covers more of what you'll learn in the IT program.
Finish in as few as
- Campus Support and Resources
- Flex Choice®
Students looking to start or advance a career in technology by gaining skills in the fundamentals of IT and who enjoy working with or helping others. Students looking to put their detailed, diligent and resourceful skills to use by solving complex technical problems and finding efficiencies.
Prepares you for
Computer user support specialist, deskside support technician, helpdesk/service desk support specialist, field service technician, end-user support specialist
Not Sure This Degree Is Right for You?
Whether this is the first step on your path to an IT career or you’re already working in the field, our ladder approach to education makes it easy to earn the credentials that you need. At Rasmussen University, our IT credentials stack together into one cohesive Information Technology Management ladder system. This means that you’re earning more than credits—you’re earning every credential along the way. No matter where you start, credits transfer from one credential to the next: IT Support Certificate to IT Associate's degree to IT Project Management Certificate to IT Management Bachelor's degree.
The single panel infographic displays how Rasmussen University's IT program credentials stack together. The title of the graphic is, "Information Technology Management Laddering". At the bottom of the stack is the IT Support Certificate, followed by IT Associate's degree (highlighted in green), IT Project Management Certificate and, at the top, the IT Management Bachelor's degree.
Talk to an Admissions Advisor
A good place to start is to ask yourself what aspect of technology interests you most. If software development and creating apps and websites sounds exciting to you, our Computer Science, Data Analytics or Software Application Development may be the best path for you.
Would you rather manage technology and lead day-to-day operations? Then our Cyber Security, Information Technology, Information Technology Management or Network Systems Administration may be the best place for your skill set.
Compare Industry Certification Paths
As you're starting to compare programs, one good step is to check which industry certifications you're most interested in. We'll show you which programs can help you get there. Plus, we'll even cover the cost for up to three different certification exams.2
All of our Technology programs (except at the Master's level) will help prepare you for certification exams from industry leaders, including CompTIA®, Microsoft® and Cisco®. If you've already completed any of these certifications, you may earn credit and waive related courses, depending on the program you choose.
Computer User Support Specialist
BLS Earnings Data:
- $30,550 10th Percentile
- $38,690 25th Percentile
- $50,210 50th Percentile
BLS Projected Growth 2018–2028:
BLS Typical Entry-Level Education:
- Some college, no degree
"I like the online structure because it gives me the opportunity to do a lot of research and reflection. I am able to interact with my peers through the online discussion forums and reach out for help if I run into any problems."
IT Associate's Degree Graduate
- Completion time is dependent on transfer credits accepted and the number of courses completed each term.
- Rasmussen University will reimburse you any out-of-pocket costs of the application fee for each first attempt of up to three designated industry certification exams for which you qualify. Should you need to take an exam more than once to receive a passing grade score, you will be responsible for all subsequent exam application fees. Rasmussen University will provide practice exams and materials when available.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Employment Statistics, [salary data accessed May 21, 2020] https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes292061.htm. Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, [career information accessed May 21, 2020] www.bls.gov/ooh/. BLS salary data represents national, averaged earnings for the occupations listed and includes workers at all levels of education and experience. This data does not represent starting salaries. Employment conditions in your area may vary.
- CompTIA Employer Perceptions of IT Training and Certification, https://certification.comptia.org/docs/default-source/downloadablefiles/get-into-it.pdf?sfvrsn=2
- 2018 Rasmussen University Student Satisfaction Survey, collected December 2018.
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Current Population Study. Unemployment rates and earnings by educational attainment, 2019. Accessed by 7/15/2020. Data is for persons age 25 and older full-time wage and salary earners. https://www.bls.gov/emp/chart-unemployment-earnings-education.htm