Information Technology (IT) Support
In as few as six months and for less than $8,200 for full-time students, our Pre-Associate's online IT Support Certificate can help you develop skills in Microsoft® tools, technical support and customer service that employers are looking for.6 With eight start dates a year, you can start when it’s convenient for you, feel prepared to sit for in-demand IT support certification exams—including, CompTIA A+ (Parts 1 and 2), CompTIA Network+ and Windows 10 MD-100—and be ready to pursue your IT career.4,5
Next Program Start Date: October 3, 2022
What Does My Educational Path Look Like?
Whether this is the first step on your path to an IT career or you’re already working in the field, our ladder approach to education makes it easier to earn the credentials that you need. At Rasmussen University, our IT credentials stack together into one cohesive Information Technology Management ladder system. This means that you’re earning more than credits—you’re earning every credential along the way. No matter where you start, credits transfer from one credential to the next: IT Support Certificate to IT Associate's degree to IT Project Management Certificate to IT Management Bachelor's degree.
The single panel infographic displays how Rasmussen University's IT program credentials stack together. The title of the graphic is, "Information Technology Management Laddering". At the bottom of the stack and highlighted in green is the IT Support Certificate, followed by IT Associate's degree, IT Project Management Certificate and, at the top, the IT Management Bachelor's degree.
Support That Every Organization Needs
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Computer User Support Specialist jobs are projected to grow by 9% over the next 10 years, which can make IT support certification a valuable resource in your career.7 What does it take to achieve IT support certification or IT help desk certification? Designed by industry experts, our online IT Support Certificate can help you jumpstart your education into the ever-changing world of technology. You’ll learn from accomplished instructors with experience in IT, IT management, network administration, network security, computer information systems and information systems management.
Rasmussen University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (hlcommission.org), an institutional accreditation agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Take me to:
IT Support Certificate Career Potential
Turn your natural interest in tech into a career as a:
Computer User Support Specialist
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), earning a degree, regardless of the field of study, can improve income potentia.8 A computer user support specialist is just one example of where an online IT Support Certificate can take you.
BLS Earnings Data:1
- $34,220 (10th percentile)
- $39,380 (25th percentile)
- $49,770 (50th percentile)
BLS Projected Growth 2020–2030:1
What Skills Will I Gain?
Computer Configuration and Troubleshooting
Develop expertise in Microsoft® tools, applications and operating systems.4 Learn the configuration and maintenance for both hardware, including laptops and mobile devices, and software used to support the hardware.
Foundational Network Configuration
Understand computer networks, including structure and function, components and models of Local Area Networks (LAN), Wide Area Networks (WAN), Ethernet concepts and the internet.
Quality End-User Support
Install, configure and troubleshoot a small office/home office (SOHO) network according to proper networking protocols.
Internal and External Collaboration
Verbally and nonverbally communicate technical information to members of a diverse team using collaboration tools. Implement strategies to support users with proper troubleshooting skills.
Along with program-specific skills, students in all programs and at all credential levels learn six employer-valued transferable skills, or soft skills: critical thinking, digital fluency, information literacy, communication, diversity and teamwork, and ethics and professional responsibility. Learn to not only troubleshoot hardware and software, but also clearly explain the role of IT in supporting business needs and implement strategies within a diverse team. All six transferable skills are strategically embedded into your IT Support Certificate, further preparing you for your career.
IT Support Specialist Certification Exams
After completing your IT Support Certificate, you will be academically prepared to sit for the CompTIA A+ (Parts 1 and 2), CompTIA Network+ and Windows 10 MD-100 certification exams (some additional certification requirements prior to testing may be required). Rasmussen University will reimburse the exam fees of up to three certification exams to help make pursuing IT support certification more of a reality.
Take the Next Step—Talk to Us!
What Types of Classes Will I Take?
- CIS 153C
- 4 Credits
- CIS 1648C
- 4 Credits
- CNT 1244C
- 3 Credits
Hardware and Software I
Introduces the installation, configuration, maintenance and troubleshooting of end-user personal computer hardware and software. Topics include computer networks and peripherals, virus protection, maintenance planning and hands-on practice in a physical or remote lab setting. This course prepares you for Part 1 of the CompTIA A+ certification exam.
Hardware and Software II
Focuses on operating systems, file management, security and troubleshooting. Utilizes the Windows operating system to learn how to set up printers, file sharing and troubleshoot related problems. This course prepares you for Part 2 of the CompTIA A+ certification exam.
Introduction to Networks
Gives fundamental knowledge about computer networks, including structure and function, components and models of Local Area Networks (LAN), Wide Area Network (WAN) and the Internet, and Ethernet concepts like IP addressing, protocols, hardware and network topologies.
62 Minimum Months to Completion
7 Courses to Complete
25 Credit Hours
Estimate Your Tuition
Rasmussen University is committed to making education more affordable for all students. Our tuition estimating tool can help you visualize the cost of your Bachelor's Degree in Data Analytics online and see what savings opportunities are available to help you achieve it.
What Should I Know Before I Enroll?
Entrance requirements at the Rasmussen University School of Technology vary depending on the program. We do not require enrolling students to submit standardized test scores; however, every entrant must have at least a high school diploma or the equivalent.
We believe in giving credit where it’s due. Talk to an admissions advisor today or explore our Transfer Policy page to review our seamless credit policies designed to maximize credits, potentially save money and expedite graduation. Lower level course waivers are available for students with the following industry certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, CompTIA Security+ and Windows MCSA 10.4
Help Paying for College
Higher education should be a manageable investment. Talk to an admissions advisor and learn how these programs can make it more affordable with self-directed assessments, credit for prior learning, loans and grants, scholarship opportunities, corporate grants and military discounts for those who qualify.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Employment Statistics, [salary data accessed July 2022] www.bls.gov/oes/. Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, [career information accessed July 2022] www.bls.gov/ooh/. BLS salary data represents national, averaged earnings for the occupations listed and includes workers at all levels of education and experience. This data does not represent starting salaries. Employment conditions in your area may vary.
- Completion time is dependent on transfer credits accepted and the number of courses completed each term.
- Total program cost varies by full-time vs. part-time learning.
- Microsoft and Windows are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
- Rasmussen University will reimburse you any out-of-pocket costs of the application fee for each first attempt of up to three designated industry certification exams for which you qualify. Should you need to take an exam more than once to receive a passing grade score, you will be responsible for all subsequent exam application fees. Rasmussen University will provide practice exams and materials when available.
Completion time is dependent on transfer credits accepted and the number of courses completed each term.
Total program cost varies by full-time vs. part-time learning.
Microsoft and Windows are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, [career information accessed March 31, 2022] www.bls.gov/ooh/. "Projected growth" represents the estimated change in total employment over the projections period (2020-2030). "Projected job openings" represent openings due to growth and replacement. Employment conditions in your area may vary.
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Current Population Study. Unemployment rates and earnings by educational attainment, 2020. Accessed on March 31, 2022. Data is for persons age 25 and older who are full-time wage and salary earners. https://www.bls.gov/emp/chart-unemployment-earnings-education.htm