Health Information Management
You’re a skilled health information professional, but you want to take the next step in your career. That’s why we offer this CAHIIM-accredited Health Information Management (HIM) Online Bachelor’s degree program. When you graduate in as few as 18 months, you’ll be ready to take the RHIA certification exam and advance to allied health professional leadership roles like a medical records manager, risk management officer or clinical data analyst.1
Regional and Programmatic Accreditation
Rasmussen College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (hlcommission.org), a regional accreditation agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Learn more about programmatic accreditation and the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM).
Built-In RHIA Exam Prep
Preparation for the Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) exam is built into your regular Health Information Management program coursework so that you’ll be ready to sit for the certification exam the day you graduate—and the application fee is included in your tuition costs.2
Online Courses Go Where You Go
We applaud your dedication to grow despite your busy lifestyle. Our online learning options are designed to give you more control and balance over your schedule. At the same time, you’ll receive hands-on support from faculty at every stage.
Flex Choice®: Get Credit For What You Know
This Bachelor’s degree-completion program is available with Flex Choice self-directed assessment offerings, which allows you to blend traditional online courses with self-directed assessments that provide optional coaching assistance. Assessments provide more flexibility, and—at $99 per attempt—this is a more affordable way to receive credit for what you already know. For additional information, visit our Flex Choice page.
Health Information Management
Finish in as few as
- Campus Support and Resources
- Field Experience
- Flex Choice®
Students who are interested in managing advanced health information systems within healthcare. Students looking to pursue a successful, fulfilling career leading a team of technicians with strong management skills and well-rounded knowledge about the field. Also ideal for students who have a Associate's degree or equivalent college credits looking to advance their education and enhance their skills.
Prepares you for
Medical records manager, privacy officer, risk management officer, clinical data analyst, corporate compliance officer, health information management specialist, clinical documentation specialist, billing and coding specialist
Not Sure This Degree Is Right for You?
Health Information Management History: Past, Present & Future
It’s time to start searching for a new job—but not just any job. You want a career that’s stable, something in an industry that will be around to help you provide for your family for years to come. Health information management fits the bill—it has the track record to prove it and we have the HIM degree to help you get there.
Turn Your Education into a Career
We’ve made advancing your health information management career even easier by offering classes and credentials that fit into a busy working schedule. With preparation for the Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) exam built into your regular coursework, you’ll be ready to sit for the certification exam the day you graduate. This national certification exam is valued by employers and the fee is already included in your tuition costs.2 When you're ready to further your education, you can seamlessly transfer your Health Information Management Bachelor's degree credits toward a Master of Healthcare Administration degree at Rasmussen College, which you can earn in as few as 18 months and will develop your skills as a leader in the business of healthcare.1
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), earning a degree, regardless of the field of study, can improve income potential.3 Here are just a few examples of where a Health Information Management degree online can take you.
Medical and Health Services Managers
Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM)
The Health Information Management Bachelor’s degree program at Rasmussen College – Online is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM).
Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education
200 East Randolph Street
Chicago, IL 60601
Graduate Programmatic Outcome Rates
|Health Information Management Bachelor’s Degree Program||Graduate Programmatic Outcome Rate4||Programmatic Retention Rate5||Programmatic Graduation Rate6|
|Rasmussen College – Online Baccalaureate||69.5%||68.8%||32.2%|
- Completion time is dependent on transfer credits accepted and the number of courses completed each term.
- Rasmussen College will reimburse you any out-of-pocket costs of the application fee for each first attempt of up to three designated industry certification exams for which you qualify. Should you need to take an exam more than once to receive a passing grade score, you will be responsible for all subsequent exam application fees. Rasmussen College will provide practice exams and materials when available.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, https://www.bls.gov/oes/. Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, , [career information accessed May 30, 2018] www.bls.gov/ooh/. BLS salary data represents national, averaged earnings for the occupations listed and includes workers at all levels of education and experience. This data does not represent starting salaries. Employment conditions in your area may vary. , [salary data accessed May 30, 2018]
- Graduate Programmatic Outcome Rates are based on June 2016 through March 2017 graduates measured at 12 months post graduation and includes those employed in their field of study, in a position that required their degree, or those continuing their education. It does not specify that each graduate was placed by Rasmussen College in their current position; some graduates find jobs on their own while others maintain previously held employment. This rate excludes graduates who were unavailable due to military service, a medical condition, an international location, or are incarcerated or deceased.
- Programmatic Retention Rates are based on the number of enrollments reported in the most recent CAHIIM APAR report for period July 2015 through June 2016 minus the number of students leaving the program in that same time period.
- Programmatic Graduation Rates – Percentage of starts between May 2014 and April 2015 that graduated from the program in 1.5 times the recommended length of the program. The programs listed above are those accredited by CAHIIM. The online Health Information Management Bachelor’s degree program at Rasmussen College is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM).