Launch Your Health Information Career Journey
Prepare for a career that combines healthcare and technology to make a real impact in patients’ experience. Our Health Information Associate’s degree online (HIT program) lays the building blocks for career growth, further education and a future in management. You'll gain advanced skills in information policy, revenue cycle management, data management, healthcare technologies and more in this Health Information Technology degree.
In Rasmussen University's HIT program, you can:
- Gain practical skills in virtual labs and a real work setting
- Use state-of-the-art health information technology and software
- Collaborate with experts in the healthcare profession
- Prepare for the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT®) exam45
- Seamlessly transfer into our Health Information Management Bachelor’s degree
Already have your Medical Billing and Coding Certificate? That means you can save time and money by completing your Health Information Associate’s degree in as few as 9 months6 with only 13 courses.
Take me to:
What Jobs Can I Pursue with an HIT Associate’s degree?
In our HIT program, you’ll be preparing to further advance to the Bachelor’s degree and to enter the field in roles like these:
- Health information technician
- Health information data collection and analysis specialist
- Medical coder/biller-analyst/auditor
- Electronic health records (EHR) specialist
- Compliance auditor/specialist
- Patient care coordinator
- Release of information specialist
- Revenue cycle reimbursement specialist
With a Health Information Technology degree, you can pursue an in-demand career in healthcare settings, such as:
- Insurance companies
- Health information technology vendors
Why Choose Rasmussen University?
Designed by industry experts, our Health Information Associate’s degree will help you gain the skills, education and certification prep to help grow your career in health information.
- Accredited online and at select campuses by the Commission Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM).7 Learn more about CAHIIM campus accreditation
- Balance work, life and school with fully online courses
- Save time and money with transfer credits and $149 self-directed assessments that allow you to prove you have the skills taught in a particular course and don't need to take it
- Focus on both data management and revenue management—other programs may only emphasize one. We want you to be versatile and knowledgeable, from collecting and protecting patient health information to managing vital clinical aspects of claims, payment and revenue
- Gain hands-on experience with AHIMA® virtual labs to test your skills and sharpen your decision-making
- Analyze electronic health records (EHR) and examine case studies, real-world coding scenarios, hands-on activities and projects for a first-hand look at industry technology
- Develop skills in computer applications, statistics and analytics
- Collaborate with experienced faculty who want you to succeed in a supportive environment
Practice in Real-Time
Not only are you studying the material in our HIT program—you’re also getting a variety of practice experiences in a professional health information setting in your community. Through state-of-the-art AHIMA® virtual labs in our HIT program, you'll utilize the latest health information technology in a simulated work setting.
Continue to Advance
An HIT Associate’s degree can be the first step in your health information path. You’ll be prepared for entry-level roles in the field—and perfectly positioned to complete our Health Information Management Bachelor’s degree in preparation for leadership roles.
Climb the Educational Ladder to Your Career
Our Health Information studies programs let you start at the point that works best for you, complete that Certificate or degree, then smoothly transition to the next degree. You’re not just completing your Associate’s degree—you’re saving time and money by finishing half of your Bachelor’s degree and advancing on the path toward an in-demand leadership role improving health information processes and patient care.
Certificate: Medical Billing and Coding
Start here if:
You’re just entering the field and looking for quick entry into a healthcare role. This is a great stepping stone toward your Associate’s degree and a future career in medical billing and coding.12
Finish in as few as:
Associate’s Degree: Health Information Technician
Start here if:
You’re ready to learn more about managing patient data, revenue cycle, and billing and coding. You're also interested in pursuing the RHIT® exam.
Finish in as few as:
Bachelor’s Degree: Health Information Management
Start here if:
You have your Associate's degree in health information or in an another subject with your RHIT credential. You're interested in a higher leadership role and want to prepare for the RHIA® exam.15
Finish in as few as:
Master’s Degree: Choose Your Path
Master’s degree programs to consider:
Sample MBA job titles:
- Business analytics and intelligence
- Business and project management
- Client relations
- Financial management
- Government services
- Healthcare administration
- Human resources
Sample MHA job titles:
- Admissions coordinator or director
- Clinical director
- Health services manager
- Hospital administrator
- Long-term care administrator
- Medical services manager
- Practice manager
Online by Design
Rasmussen University courses are fully online and rich in interactive learning to give you more control and balance in your life.
Support to Make it Work
From 24/7 tech support, experienced tutors and career services to library and learning services with over 400,000 ebooks and electronic reference materials, we’re dedicated to a robust learning community.
In addition to health information studies, you’ll enhance your skills in critical thinking, digital fluency, information literacy, communication, diversity and teamwork, and ethics and professional responsibility in this HIT program.
Take the Next Step—Talk to Us!
Get Credit for What You Know
67% of program requirements may be completed by transfer credits, course waivers, self-directed assessments or other opportunities.18
Transfer CreditsGet an estimate of your transfer credits without an official transcript in one business day (on average).
Education Built for Working Adults
Show that you have already achieved the skills for a course and don't need to take it. Your potential savings could be over $8,000!19
Fully Online100% online courses give you more control—over your schedule, your work space and your pace.
Tuition & Savings
Do the Math:
With eight start dates a year and a total of 14 courses—full-time students can finish in as few as 18 months.20 You can save even more with transfer credits, loans, grants and more.
$279 cost per full-time credit
x 90 total credits
$25,110 total full-time tuition
+ $4,920 total fees
$30,030 full-time estimated total program cost
Other Ways to Save
Higher education should be a manageable investment. Talk to an admissions advisor and learn how our programs are designed to be more affordable with Knowledge Credit™ through transfer credits, self-directed assessments, and military training or professional certification. Plus, save more with loans and grants, scholarship opportunities, and military discounts for those who qualify. Find more about:
Entrance requirements for the School of Health Sciences vary by program. This program is not available to residents of all states. To learn more and receive help planning your healthcare career path, contact an admissions advisor who will speak to you about: immunizations, background checks and TEAS scores.
Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM)
The Health Information Management accreditor of Rasmussen University is the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM). The University’s accreditation for the Associate degree in Health Information Technician has been reaffirmed through 2025. All inquiries about the program’s accreditation status should be directed by mail to CAHIIM, 200 East Randolph Street, Suite 5100, Chicago, IL, 60601; by phone at (312) 235-3255; or by email at [email protected].
Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education
200 East Randolph Street
Chicago, IL 60601
Graduate Programmatic Outcome Rates
|Health Information Technician Associate’s Degree Program||Graduate Programmatic Outcome Rate21||Student Satisfaction Rate22||Programmatic Graduation Rate23|
|Rasmussen University – National Online||73.4%||100%||37.2%|