Intro to Criminal Justice
Explore the three components of the criminal justice system:
- Law enforcement
- Courts and corrections, including jails, prisons, probation/parole
- Rehabilitation programs
Criminology Motives for Criminal Deviance
- Examine social and behavioral issues involved in the study of crime as a social phenomenon
- Learn various techniques for measuring the amounts and characteristics of crime and criminals
Applied Criminal Procedures
- Examine procedural requirements for the judicial processing of criminal offenders
- Explore the concepts of evidence sufficiency, standards of proof and due process
- Examine the Bill of Rights and its applicability to the criminal justice process
Complete in a few as 18 months.
Estimated Full-Time Total Program Cost: $30,309
Criminal Justice Associate’s Degree
Earn your Criminal Justice Associate’s degree online and prepare to protect and serve your community. Rasmussen University faculty have years of experience in the field and our online criminal justice program provides the path for you to gain the working knowledge and skills to:
- Understand the history and development of the criminal justice system and its effect on society, as well as the theory and practice of criminal justice procedures.
- Develop an awareness and understanding of critical relationship issues between the Criminal Justice system and the diverse populations of the communities served.
- Apply critical-thinking skills to appropriately react to fast-paced, constantly changing issues in criminal justice, such as security, juvenile justice and domestic violence.
- Understand what criminal law is and the legal procedures required to enforce the law.
Take me to:
What Does This Criminal Justice Degree Prepare You For?
Graduates pursue careers in roles protecting and serving, including investigation and security services, probation and parole, and individual and family services.
The Criminal Justice program is not designed to meet the educational requirements for professional licensure or certification in any states. This program has not been approved by any state professional licensing body and does not lead to any state-issued professional license.3
Flexible Online Courses
100% online courses and self-directed assessments designed to give you more control and balance over your busy schedule.
Save Time and Money
Get credit for what you already know with self-directed assessments (taken in place of full courses). With 10 opportunities in this program for self-directed assessments, you could save over $8,000.
Career-Ready Criminal Justice Skills
Through realistic scenarios including police ride-alongs, interrogation analysis videos and drafting search warrants, you’ll built a strong foundation of skills for the real world.
Criminal Justice Associate’s Degree Courses
Emulating real-world experiences, our comprehensive curriculum prepares you through authentic assessments to apply your training in a broad range of environments and situations.
"Courses cover current trends and issues in the field so students can 'hit the ground running' in their jobs."
Rose Du Houx Pogatshnik, MS
School of Justice Studies Faculty and Law Enforcement Program Chair
Take the Next Step—Talk to Us!
Transfer into a Criminal Justice Associate’s Degree
We have a seamless transfer of credit policy, whether you’ve earned your credits at Rasmussen University or elsewhere. In fact, in 2019, Associate's degree students transferred in an average of 26 credits.5 Choose from numerous entry-point options.
Ladder up to Your Bachelor's Degree
While earning your online Criminal Justice Associate’s degree, you're also setting the stage for your Bachelor's degree. All the credits you earn ladder up to the next level.
Tuition & Savings
Do the Math:
With four start dates a year, 5.5-week terms and a total of 24 courses—each 11 weeks in length—full-time students can finish in as few as 18 months for $30,309.
$279 cost per full-time credit
x 91 total credits
$25,389 total full-time tuition
+ $4,920 total fees
$30,309 full-time estimated total program cost
Other Ways to Save
Higher education should be a manageable investment. Talk to an admissions advisor and learn how our online Criminal Justice program is designed to be more affordable with Knowledge Credit™ through transfer credits, self-directed assessments, and military training or professional certification. Plus, save more with loans and grants, scholarship opportunities, and military discounts for those who qualify. Find more about:
Entrance requirements at Rasmussen University vary depending on the program. We do not require enrolling students to submit standardized test scores; however, every entrant must have at least a high school diploma or the equivalent. To be considered for admission to the Bachelor-Completor Entrance Option, students must hold a conferred Associate’s degree from an accredited institution as recognized by the Department of Education, or students must have successfully completed 90 quarter or 60 semester credits with a grade of C or higher.
- Completion time is dependent on transfer credits accepted and the number of courses completed each term.
- Program cost is dependent on transfer credits accepted and the number of courses completed each term.
The Criminal Justice Leadership and Management Bachelor’s degree and Criminal Justice Associate’s degree programs have not been approved by any state professional licensing body, and the programs do not lead to any state-issued professional license. For further information on professional licensing requirements, please contact the appropriate board or agency in your state of residence. Additional education, training, experience, and/or other eligibility criteria may apply.
In Minnesota, the Criminal Justice Associate’s degree program does not meet the standards established by the Minnesota Peace Officer Standards and Training Board for persons who seek employment as a peace officer.
- Rasmussen University reserves the right to accept or deny credits according to policies outlined in the course catalog. Tuition estimates are for qualified individuals transferring in more than 60 credits. Actual time to completion will be based upon transfer evaluation and eligibility. Standard program pricing reflects part-time Bachelor’s degree pricing.
- 2020 Rasmussen University Credit Transfer Data, collected July 2021.
- 2019 Criminal Justice Associate's and Bachelor's Degrees Curriculum Summit included industry experts from various organizations who designed and reviewed the curriculum, collected February, 2020.