Grow your skill set and advance your career with a Master of Science in Data Science (MSDS) degree in as few as 18 months. Our fully-online program was developed in partnership with industry leaders from the technology and business fields. It incorporates industry-standard tools and languages including Tableau, SAS®, Scala, Python, R and Microsoft Azure®.2
The Master of Science in Data Science is a Flex Choice® competency-based education program. The unique design of its courses allows you to show what you know as soon as you know it. CBE gives you more control over your time, allowing you to move quickly through topics you already understand and slow down with more challenging material—a perfect fit for the busy adult learner. CBE is designed to be a flexible way to fit college into your life. Learn more about Flex Choice.
Take me to:
What Will I Be Prepared to Do When I’m Done?
Pursue Career Advancement
With this degree, you'll be confident in your skills to pursue a career as a data scientist, data engineer, data architect, data analyst, data developer or business analyst.
Tackle Organizational Objectives
Program areas of focus include big data, deep analysis using advanced statistics, application of artificial intelligence and development of intelligent processes used to identify patterns in data that drive information, insight and business intelligence.
Pursue Potential Job Growth
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the projected job growth potential between 2016 and 2026 for Management Analysts is 14%.3 An MSDS degree from Rasmussen College can help set you up for success in this growing field.
What Skills Will I Gain?
Analytical Objectives and Strategies
Develop effective analytical objectives and strategies to help solve problems in an organization.
Consolidate and create optimal data sets for use in producing analytical solutions.
Analytical Models and Processes
Create descriptive, predictive and prescriptive analytical models and processes for use in validating and interpreting data.
Create, communicate and present actionable business insights to stakeholders that are supported by analysis.
What Types of Classes Will I Take?
- QMB 5200C
- 4 Credits
- QMB 6000C
- 4 Credits
- QMB 6100C
- 4 Credits
- QMB 6300C
- 4 Credits
Advanced Database Management
Improve database design skills while obtaining more experience writing complicated SQL queries for relational databases and gain a strong exposure to technologies and software that work with databases to support higher levels of data integration.
Advanced Statistical Techniques
Expands upon basic statistics to support the means of determining solutions to problems that require several levels of decision-making. Introduces techniques including Markov Process Models, principle components analysis and Monte Carlo simulation.
Advanced Machine Learning
Addresses the application of neural nets, deep learning method and cross learning techniques including the application of support vector machines (SVM), genetic algorithms and genetic programming.
Big Data Technologies
Introduces working within the world of big data by explaining its purpose, major tools, programming paradigms as well as data structures and programming techniques.
12 Courses to Complete
48 Credit Hours
What Should I Know Before I Enroll?
Help Paying for College
Higher education should be a manageable investment. Talk to an admissions advisor and learn how these programs can make it more affordable with Flex Choice® learning options, loans and grants, scholarship opportunities and corporate and military discounts for those who qualify.
Applicants must submit the following:
- Completed program application
- Official transcript documenting conferral of a Bachelor's degree with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher from a regionally or nationally accredited institution of higher learning as recognized by the Department of Education and the Council on Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA)
Demonstrate data analysis/data science experience through at least one of the following methods:
- Bachelor's degree in Data Analytics or Data Science
- Bachelor's degree in one of the following related fields: Information Systems, Information Technology, Information Security, Cyber Security, Systems Engineering, Network Administration, Network Security, Data Management, Computer Science, Web Programming, Software Engineering, Statistics, Accounting/Finance, Business Systems Analysis, Business Management and either a specialization in Data Analytics/Data Science or at least one year of demonstrated significant and recent experience in data analytics/data science4
- Bachelor's degree in an unrelated field and a resume showing at least two years of demonstrated significant and recent experience in data analytics/data science, and either an Oracle BI or SAS certification earned in the past three years4
- Bachelor's degree in an unrelated field and a resume showing at least three years of demonstrated significant and recent experience in data analysis/data science
Applicants who meet the entrance requirements must complete the following prior to being deemed eligible for entrance into the program:
- Rasmussen College enrollment agreement and attachments
- Any additional program-specific requirements as specified at the time of enrollment
If accepted, entrants will be notified of acceptance from the College once all entrance requirements have been met.
Accepted applicants must complete the Rasmussen experiential online orientation course.
Where Can I Find a Master of Science in Data Science Program Near Me?
At Rasmussen College, we want our courses to be available for your schedule; not the other way around. Many of our programs are available on campus or online. Select programs are available for enrollment through a specific campus, but students complete the courses online and are able to utilize online and on-campus support and resources. Click below to find a Master of Science in Data Science program near you.
- Completion time is dependent on transfer credits accepted and the number of courses completed each term.
Tableau is a registered trademark of Tableau Software, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and certain other countries.
SAS is a registered trademark of SAS Institute Inc.
Microsoft Azure is registered trademarks of Microsoft Inc.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, [career information accessed May 30, 2018] www.bls.gov/ooh/. Employment conditions in your area may vary.
- When demonstrated significant and recent experience in data analytics/data science is required, the Department Chair will review the applicant’s resume to determine whether the entrance requirement has been met.